21. Working with Industry and Grant Funding Agencies

  • University of Manitoba All research grant applications must be reviewed by the Office of Research Services (ORS) prior to submission to ensure compliance with the policies and requirements of the University and the sponsors.

    Research contracts may also be required to be reviewed by ORS, particularly if it involves an agreement between a UM affiliated faculty member or researcher where UM resources will be used or when research funds will be administered by University of Manitoba Finance. Contracts are negotiated by ORS staff in consultation with the researcher(s) on behalf of the university.

    Further information about contracts and research grants and templates can be found at University of Manitoba Research Grant and Contract Forms or ORS can be contacted directly at Funding Application Information: 204-474-7437 or Contract/Agreement information:204-474-6681.

    The University of Manitoba will enter into a research agreement with a sponsor if the Principal Investigator is performing research activities on behalf of the University and is receiving payment, or if a company is providing materials for research activities. Further information about research contracts can be found at:

  • WRHA and affiliated institutions If the researcher is being engaged as a facility affiliated researcher (i.e. WRHA, HSC, SBGH) and not specifically a U of M Researcher, the contract and study agreement may be reviewed by the institution's respective research department. If the contract involves a fee for service and study funds are to be administered by the institution, then a “Specific Purpose Account” may be required to be opened with that institution.

    • Health Sciences Centre - If the study is to be administered at the HSC a Specific Purpose Account must be opened for each study. For further information about contracts, contact the HSC Department of Research
  • Brandon University All research grant applications (e.g. CIHR, NSERC or NPO) and contracts for Brandon University affiliated researchers, unless otherwise agreed, must be reviewed by the Brandon University, Office of Vice-President (Academic & Provost). For more information read the Research Contract and Overhead Policy or contact the Office of Research Services at Brandon University directly at:204-727-7445.

  • Technology Transfer and Intellectual Property The UM Technology Transfer Office's (TTO) role is to increase knowledge mobilization between UM and commercial partners. TTO promotes collaboration between industry and academia and oversees and guides intellectual property development. Further information about TTO can be found here. The UM Intellectual Property Policy can be found here.

21.1 Manitoba Funding Agencies

  • Research Manitoba provides funds for research in the health, natural and social sciences, engineering and the humanities in Manitoba through a number of grants and awards programs from moneys received from the Province.

  • Manitoba Medical Service Foundation (MMSF) provides funds for the establishment or furtherance of projects promoting scientific, research, educational and other activities in the maintenance and improvement of the health and well-being of the residents of Manitoba.

  • Health Sciences Centre Foundation funds research, education, advanced technology and infrastructure enhancements.