At the George & Fay Yee Centre for Healthcare Innovation (CHI), we define patient and public engagement in health research as:
People, informal caregivers, families, friends and communities with lived experience of health issues having a say in decision-making about the research process — including research priorities, questions, outcome measures, design, methodology, data collection approaches, interpretation of results and dissemination methods.
CHI sees patient and public involvement in health research as an integrated approach with Patient/Public Engagement Champions located in all seven of our platforms.
CHI’s patient and public engagement strategy is a three-pronged approach:
- Support and facilitate the practice of patient/public engagement in health research
- Build and strengthen patient/public engagement partnerships
- Advance the science of patient/public engagement in health research
Services offered include:
- Patient and Public Engagement Consults
- Training for Researchers and Patient/Public Partners
- Lunchtime Learning Series on Patient/Public Engagement in Health Research
- Patient/Public Engagement Interactive Tool
- Patient Engagement Blog Post Series
- Funding Award to Support Patient and Public Engagement in Design and Grant Development Phase