REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure, web application designed to support data capture for research studies; it is widely used at leading health research institutes around the world. The George & Fay Yee Centre for Healthcare Innovation, (CHI), together with the University of Manitoba Faculty of Health Sciences, has implemented REDCap in Manitoba, to provide researchers with a highly secure, centralized, audited environment to store, manage and analyze research data. The system is designed to comply with PHIA & FIPPA regulations to the provide highest standards of security to protect data against loss, destruction or unauthorized access and use.
Features of REDCap:
- Researchers using REDCap will have the the opportunity to customize data collection for individual studies or clinical trials; they will be supported in this process by CHI’s Data Science Platform.
- REDCap will provide user-friendly web-based Case Report Forms (CRFs), multi-site data entry, real-time data entry validation, audit trails and calendar functions that schedule and track critical study events such as blood-draws, participant visits, etc. Additionally, the system is capable of allowing different access levels to content to different research team members.
- Research investigators and research staff identified in the project summary and in Research Ethics Board (REB) submissions will have secure, controlled access to individual project databases.
- REDCap provides a powerful tool for creating and managing surveys through web browser. Research teams will be able to collect anonymous responses or track and identify responses from survey participants.
- REDCap provides export procedures for seamless data downloads in various file formats and common statistical packages such as SAS, R, SPSS, and Stata. Additionally, REDCap produces reports on demand.
Statistical analysis and support from CHI is coordinated through the Biostatistical Consulting Unit (BCU), housed within CHI’s Data Science Platform. The BCU provides guidance regarding design and analysis options for study proposals, and has significant experience in clinical trials. The BCU also provides expertise in conjunction with Research Data Management Services to ensure timely and thorough data collection, data manipulation and quality assurance. CHI is establishing collaborative pathways for research with pan-Canadian communities that are diverse by rural and urban locations, geography, health status, health service delivery, race, ethnicity, and culture.
CHI offers the following sessions/workshops:
- A hands on workshop to give researchers a basic introduction to REDCap. Please click here to download the training schedule.
- An informal session on introducing investigators and coordinators to REDCap, and discussing how one can get started with our local installation of REDCap. Please click here for more information.
- A discussion on a combination demo of an intermediate-level topic, followed by a drop-in Q&A session. Click here for more details
All sessions are free. For more information or to register, e-mail email@example.com
REDCap has been implemented in Manitoba for health researchers using several servers. The REDCap Training and Surveys servers are accessible through a simple web link while the REDCap Production Server has been installed in the College of Medicine’s Secure Research Environment. The following documents describe how to get access to REDCap and the Secure Research Environment.
- Flowchart: Getting Access to REDCap
- Getting Access to REDCap
- Getting Access to Secure Research Environment
- Application for Access to REDCap Servers
- Application for Access to Secure Research Environment (SRE)
For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
To access REDCap in Manitoba, please contact email@example.com